Thursday, June 28, 2012

Julia's First Post!

Hello all! I'm quite excited to write my first post, and I'd like to start by thanking everyone who has Hayley, Liam, and I in their thoughts and prayers. It has definitely been a journey, but all the support I've received from family, friends, and the whole Liga community has kept my spirits high throughout the entire process.

I want to start by sharing a short bit about my personal experience as I arrived home in the States, and then want to end with a quick update of what's to come.

As I arrived at Scripps La Jolla I believed I would stay for a night or so, and then be able to go home. My injuries, however, we found were much more extensive than those that were  known about in Mexico. What I thought to be an overkill of radiation and documentation proved to be an invaluable second look at what we were really dealing with.

After a level five spinal fusion and a reconstruction of the orbital bone under my right eye, my most pressing injuries had been addressed. The next day a sling to support my broken clavicle, a special boot to protect my broken left foot, and a massive brace to support my torn ACL arrived to contribute to my esnemble that is completed with what my mom calls, my "turtle shell" back brace. The doctors also discovered my spleen had been lacerated, but by the time I arrived in the States, it was not in critical condition.

Fast forward about two weeks to today (6/28/12), and I'm able to walk around 100 feet by myself with the aid of a crutch under my left arm. As I continue to improve, the days of pain after surgery begin to melt together and serve as a reference point of how much I have to be thankful for.

I'm so incredibly grateful to be able to type this post, and can't believe I will be able to return home this Saturday (6/30/12). I am planning on visiting my best friend, Hayley, this Monday and can't begin to express the  buiilding excitment and complete joy I feel as it gets closer to when I get to see her!!! I'm scheduled for clavicle surgery on Tuesday, July 3 and will then continue with my recovery process while going to outpatient rehab. A little later down the road I will have an ACL reconstruction surgery, but need to wait until I recover from my back and clavicle surgeries before I'm ready for the required pre and post-surgery rehab.

Wow, that was so long! I hope it wasn't boring and thank you again for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. It means more than you know, and I truly believe your love and concern has had a positive effect.

Lots of love and thankfulness,
Julia



6 comments:

  1. Boring!? Are you kidding Julia.... we are all so excited to be hearing from you directly and to be updated about how you are doing! Yeah! You sound strong and like you have an upbeat attitude and a good understanding of what is ahead of you. So glad you are on the road to recovery. Not what you planned for this summer, but every day will get better. So many, many people have been thinking of you and praying for you.... They will be very happy to read your post. Continue to keep us updated please. Love, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia

    How fantastic to have a blog post from you. We've been following your progress here from Canada, cringing at your injuries and also gobsmacked with your quick thinking after the crash and courage since. There are so many perspectives to the book you, Hayley, Liam, your families and friends might write one day. You are an amazing young woman, Julia. Congratulations.

    Best wishes from Hayley's great aunt in Caledon, Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia, you are one of the most endearing people I know. Your loving spirit, sense of humor, and calm compassionate manner are above all, healing. I have felt so so sad with the pain you have had to endure, and can only pray now that most of the pain has passed but the peace will endure. Love you and congrats on your first blog post. Now get your accomplice Liam to blog and we're complete. Gram3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thrill to hear from Julia!! That was a vary articulate note and so many of us are looking forward to some more - we hang on every word of your journey :-) It may be a little long but it sounds like you are doing better every day! As Pat said, the stadium is standing by watching your performance and we have all been cheering, so thank you for waving to all of your fans with that wonderful note. WE are all awaiting word of your visit with Haley. All of the prayers are truly working

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia,

    I am thrilled to read a blog written by you. Also, thrilled to read that you will be going home today. There is nothing better than being in the comforts on one’s own home :), especially after being in a hospital. We are so proud of you! I know it must have been very difficult to hear the news that you would be in a hospital for week’s vs. just a couple of days. Yet, during these past weeks you have shown what you are made of. You’re A plus spirit is a true inspiration to us all. You have taught us all the power of one’s spirit. I know rehab is and will be challenging yet once again I know that you will pass this too with flying colors. Please, be patient with yourself and write as often as you can. Hugs

    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Julia:

    You are an incredible person and an inspiration. I was delighted to read your post and cheered to learn of your considerable progress. I have been sending you healing thoughts every single day. Hope you're getting them! Please continue healing and maintain that positive, infectious attitude. We are all-- every one of us-- learning from YOU!

    Much love,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete